Customising my Chart of Accounts in Xero
With this service, you select how you want the Chart of Accounts to appear in Xero
, prior to conversion. The full desktop file history will then present in Xero as though it had been run through this new Chart of Accounts.
This service is only available to Jet Convert Partners. To see if you are eligible please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Creating the custom or standard Chart of Accounts for Xero
To select the desired custom chart of accounts you need a reference .csv file.
- The easiest way is to export a chart of accounts from an existing organisation in Xero and use that as the template.
- Alternatively, you can download a template from the Xero website or create your own file from scratch.
- Chart of Accounts template for AU
- Chart of Accounts template for NZ
- Chart of Accounts template for US
- If you want to create your own file from scratch then:
- The file must be in CSV (Comma Separated Values) format with the extension “.csv”.
- If you use Microsoft Excel to create the file then any leading zero’s might be removed from account no’s etc. Make sure you format the columns as text or alternatively use a text editor like Notepad.
- Maximum 695 Accounts in file (Including header row).
- Need at least the following data columns and in this order:
- Code (Max 10 char’s)
- Name (Max 150 char’s)
Type (Check Xero Account types)
Loading & mapping the Chart of Accounts
You will be directed via email to your conversion status page where you will be able to browse and select this .csv file.
Once you have uploaded the .csv file you will be navigated to the mapping screen. Here you will see:
- The unmapped accounts on the left-hand side.
- Your uploaded accounts with accounts that have been auto mapped highlighted in green.
- An area where you can drag accounts that you can’t map, but want to be created in Xero e.g. a bank account.
- If you have report codes in the CSV they will also be converted however reporting name does not convert.
To map accounts just drag the unmapped account/s to the appropriate account on the right. You can also change account type and tax code at this stage.
Once all accounts have been mapped, click the green Start button and your conversion will commence. It takes up to 3 business days to complete the conversion from here.
Following the conversion, your Action Checklist will contain details of how the Accounts were mapped.
- Automapped accounts are highlighted in green and manually mapped accounts are highlighted in blue.
- You can change or undo any mapping by just dragging it back to the left-hand side.
- You can multi-select accounts by using the “Shift” or “Ctrl” keys when clicking.
- Using the Tabs at the top of the grid to filter the data, makes it easier to find a specific account.
Can you apply report codes as part of this process?
Not at the moment. Once you have customised the chart of accounts please see the options for adding the report codes post-conversion:
: Review & Map accounts - Please see here