Job / Classes / Categories
Do Job / Classes / Categories Convert?
Yes, Jobs, Classes and Categories come across in all conversions if there are less than 100. You can receive up to 500 Jobs / Classes / Categories under the Accelerate premium package. If there are more than 500 Jobs / Classes / Categories in the source data then the transactions will convert but without the Jobs / Classes / Categories, should this not meet your requirements we can create a
- We convert into tracking categories, not ‘Projects’
- We do not convert payroll tracking
- Xero does not recommend more than about 200 tracking categories due to potential reporting performance issues. They have a hard limit of 2450 tracking categories. Alternatively, they suggest using an add on to manage.
- For MYOB files we use the total of Jobs (active, inactive and header Jobs) + Categories & Classes to calculate the total number.
- If you have more than 500 active/inactive this will be a custom conversion , alternatively we recommend that you delete the ones you no longer require.
In Xero we convert into Tracking, jobs, classes and categories will sit as a separate "Option" in Xero. Only two options can be active at any one time to include on your transactions.
How do Jobs / Classes / Categories Convert?
- Descriptions are not brought across ( there is not a field in Xero)
- Any transaction lines that we convert to Xero get the corresponding tracking option (originally job or category) as seen in the source file. Where categories are used in MYOB, we will need to assign them at line level to each transaction, rather than the transaction itself as done in MYOB otherwise you will be unable to report accurately.
- In Xero, a single transaction line cannot be split across multiple jobs therefore we will allocate it to one job only.
- Options in Xero need to be unique so where there are multiple classes with the same name we will add an identifier to make them different and they can be renamed post conversion.
- Job Opening balances are not created in Xero, the tracking commences at the conversion date. You can add manual journals if you require opening balances in Xero. Eg. Applying to a sale - By debiting the chart of account value with no tracking option and then crediting with the appropriate tracking option. This creates and opening balance while not impacting the financials.
- MYOB Online - Allows multi- level jobs. We convert the lowest level as this is what is attached to the transaction line.
- Header jobs will have $0 balances as they are not linked to other Category options in Xero. You can delete these post conversion if you wish.
How Do You Name the Options?
We use the Job/Category names from the source file.
Below is an example from MYOB showing how the Job Number and Job Name convert:
What if My Client Wants to Use Different Tracking in Xero?
This is really easy to achieve if you have more than 500 jobs/categories no tracking will convert and new tracking can be added post-conversion. If you have less than 500 you have two options:
- Convert as is and delete post conversion - Post conversion you can use the find and recode function in Xero. Removing all the tracking from the transactions and then delete the options.
- Delete prior to conversion - If you remove entirely from MYOB they will not convert. Please note in MYOB you need to delete one at a time.
How to Run Job Tracking Reports
As soon as you receive your Xero organisation you can run a Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet and Tracking Summary report by any job/category.
Xero does not recommend more than 20 tracking categories due to potential reporting performance issues. They have a hard limit of 2450 tracking categories therefore in some instances you may need to reduce the number of jobs in the file to meet the ...
Customer Job tracking
Reckon & QuickBooks Desktop sometimes lists Customers as "Customer Jobs". They can be listed in two ways: Header Customer - This will count as a job and will also convert as Tracking and a Contact in Xero. Sub Customer - In the list of customers if ...
Paid Bill or Invoice Showing an Amount Due You may find that an invoice/bill is showing as unpaid even though there should be $0 amount due. All of your reports are displaying the correct balances but when you view this particular invoice/bill it ...
All items are created in Xero with their item codes, descriptions and purchase and sales details. What we Convert Item number and item name Base Sales Price Standard cost COGS and Inventory $ COGs and Inventory Accounts Item Description: Note: there ...
Running Payroll Reports Post Conversion
When setting up payroll in Xero, most employees will have opening balances so that payment summaries can be created out of Xero easily. The downside is that the reporting for the first quarter/ month after conversion does not easily give the correct ...